在含有生词的上下文中有时能找到一个对此生词所下的定义或解释说明。如可以根据be，be called, that is (to say), in other words, namely，mean, deal with, to be, refer to, be known as等判断词猜测生词的含义。如：
1.A person who is good at making or repairing wooden objects is called a carpenter.
2.It will be very hard but very brittle—that is , it will break easily
3.Semantics, the study of the meaning of words, is necessary if you are to speak and read intelligently.
4. His uncle is a zoologist, who is an expert who does research on animals.
5. A calendar is a timetable of the days, weeks, months of a certain year.
6. She had a lesion on her arm that would not stop bleeding.
通过冒号，such as , like, for example, for instance等词可以推测词义。如：
Those days, young couples often spent lots of their money on appliances, for instance, washing machines, refrigerators and color televisions.
通过but，while, however，despite，in spite of ,yet，otherwise，though, instead , on the other hand, on the contrary等表示意义转折的连词猜测生词的词义。如：
1.Though Tom's face has been washed quite clean, his neck still remains grubby.
2.John usually wastes a lot of money on such useless things；His wife, however, is very thrifty.
1. Mr. Smith loves to talk, and his wife is similarlyloquacious.
2. The proprietor or the owner of the store is a big man.
because，since, as, so，so...that与such...that等通过因果关系，猜出生词的词义。如：
1. She wanted the hairdresser to trim her hair a bit because it was too long.
2. The river is so turbid that it is impossible to see the bottom even when it is shallow.
1. Birds fly with their wings, and they pick up their foods, and then eat them with theirbeaks and they use their claws for tearing, seizing, pulling or holding objects.
2. The flowers in the vasewithered because they had no water.
  下一页